Thursday, May 29, 2008

Yes, You Can Brew Bad Beer With Great Pots!

My last brewing session has turned out to be a disaster. Well, nearly, anyway. As anyone who knows my brewing knows, I usually stick to Scottish/English cask-conditioned style ales or German lagers and ales. I do do the occasional American influenced beer but never, under any circumstances, a Belgian influenced beer (try as I might, I just don't like them). Well, I recently did what I call a marathon brew day - two 5 U.S. gallon batches. This being all grain brewing, it literally takes all day and feels quite like a marathon (although, I can't say that from experience as I've never actually ran a marathon). And the styles? Well, both American influenced.

First, the disaster. I took my inspiration from a book I purchased recently, Jamil Zainasheff's Brewing Classic Styles. For those that don't know Jamil, he is perhaps the most award winning homebrewer in the U.S. Jamil also does an internet radio show that is really good (check out Jamil's Page on the The Brewing Network website). Now, I'm not knocking this book in any way - it is great and perfect for anyone wanting a basis for brewing a variety of styles. But, I did a take on what he calls a staple California/West Coast Red Ale. What I wound up with is undrinkable and perhaps the worst beer I have ever brewed. Two things definitely wrong. The biggest, the yeast - totally wrong for the style but I didn't know from the manufacturer's description. But please note, this was not a yeast mentioned by Jamil so no fault of his. The second is too much Pale Chocolate Malt making it too dark (I followed Jamil's recommendation but I think it is too much). If I didn't know better, I'd think the yeast I used was indeed a Belgian style ale yeast but it was never billed that way. Nonetheless, it was totally wrong for the grist and hop bill in this one. I'll say no more about this abomination.

Second, I looked at Jamil's American Amber Ale recipes and did a take on one that I saw but did change it quite a bit. I'm always on the lookout for a middle of the road type beer mainly for parties where we have not-so-beer-savvy guests and I think an amber usually fits that bill. This one I named "Auburn Amber" after the classic Auburn Automobile Company and put an Auburn Boattail Speedster image on the pump clip (label). I grew up near Auburn, Indiana where Auburns were made between the wars and my mother still lives there and is an avid volunteer at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum. Anyway, there's nothing really wrong with this beer, it just has no character - completely nondescript. Not really what I set out for and in this case, I'm not exactly sure why. I would have expected a bit more malt character but it is severely lacking and the hops lend no real flavor either.

So, what does this mean? Well, I need to redeem myself, and soon. So, back to what I know and love the most. Do I taste a hoppy, well balanced British Pale Ale/Bitter coming? You bet! Maybe I'll get another Welsh Dragon if I really get lucky.

Cheers!
Neil

No comments: