Monday, November 29, 2010

Roddy Beveridge - A Fallen Comrade

I was all set to write the next post in the 'care package' series focused on Orkney Brewery's Northern Light but when I sat down to write all I could think about was the emails I received recently from various members of the Scottish Craft Brewers and CAMRA's Edinburgh and South East Scotland branch. Whenever I see an email description start with "Sad News" I know something is amiss and the news won't be good at all. I didn't realize until I read it how bad it really was.

Roddy Beveridge
Roddy Beveridge of Edinburgh, Scotland died suddenly and unexpectedly at his home on Friday, 19th November. Roddy was only 43 years of age. Apparently many close to him did not know of his health issues and struggle with diabetes, a horrendous disease that I believe is never treated with the amount of attention it deserves. Roddy's funeral was this morning, Scotland time, at Our Lady of Loretto RC Church in Newbigging, Musselburgh. He will be buried at Mount Vernon Cemetery in Liberton.

At the time of his death Roddy was Head Brewer at Fowler's Ales, a microbrewery attached to the Prestoungrange Gothenburg pub in Prestonpans just east of Edinburgh. He took over brewing duties at the 'Goth in late 2009 bringing back in-house brewed real ales after a down time of some 18 months. Roddy was an avid homebrewer and a previous Vice-President of the Scottish Craft Brewers prior to taking the assignment at the 'Goth. Prior to this he had a "...successful career in management and IT..." according to an article in the East Lothian Courier. I've heard nothing but great things about the real ales Roddy produced at the pub and microbrewery. I could go into more background about the pub as it has a great story as a pub and with its association with John Fowler & Co, a historic brewer in Prestonpans. However, that just doesn't seem appropriate, this information can be gleaned from the embedded links to the pub's website.

I have to say I never really knew Roddy, in person that is, but I sure would have liked to. All of his friends and colleagues that I've had associations with spoke nothing but praise of him. We homebrewers the world over share a common bond and have many similar characteristics that draw us to this great hobby so we all knew Roddy in some small way. That is not to diminish in any way the privileges that those that really knew him and were close to him had. I hope we all remember Roddy for his passion in this art and lift a pint in his honor at every opportunity. My sincere thanks to the members of the local CAMRA branch and the Scottish Craft Brewers for their timely communication of this truly sad event.

Please consider a donation to Diabetes UK as requested by the family. My thoughts and prayers are with Roddy's family.

Rest in peace, Roddy. You will be greatly missed.

Yours Aye!
Neil

(Roddy's picture was shamelessly taken from an article in the East Lothian Toun Crier that was posted on the 'Goth's website. I sincerely hope they won't mind).

1 comment:

Diabetes UK said...

Hi Neil,

Just came across your blog post about Roddy. Sorry to hear about such a sad loss. I'd be most grateful if you could pass on our sincerest condolences to his family and those who knew him.

If you or anyone would like any information on Diabetes UK or help with how to donate in Roddy's memory, do let me know. We are most grateful to be thought of at such a difficult time, but if there's anything we can do please let me know.

All the best,

Joe

Joe Freeman
Digital Communities Manager
Diabetes UK
website@diabetes.org.uk