Friday, April 17, 2009

Julie Fowlis AND Jenna Reid, I've died and gone to heaven!

After what has shaped up to be one of the worst weeks of my entire 40+ years on this planet, a wee gig at the tiny Cactus Cafe in Austin, Texas - via South Uist and Shetland - made it all go away in less than a second.

Yes, mere moments into the first tune I was nearly in tears - quite literally. I never dreamed I'd get to see Julie Fowlis on these shores let alone in my own city and in such a perfect venue. I have been a huge fan of Julie since hearing her on Archie Fisher's BBC Radio Scotland Show "Travelling Folk" prior to the release of her first CD. What an amazing voice and musical talent! And then, to top it all off, there's Jenna Reid, Shetland fiddler extraordinaire, in the band. I really thought I was in heaven. The band played a fantastic two sets culminating in an encore with Julie playing the Pipes, much to the annoyance of the Dublin-based bouzouki player, who is world-class, I might add. And what a beautiful sound from such a wee lass playing the scurl!

Even though all the songs were in Scottish Gaelic it did not matter. What a beautiful language for music. The band's version of the Beatles "Blackbird" in Gaelic was absolutely amazing but far from the highlight of the evening. In fact, I can't pick a highlight. It was just a fantastic show from an incredibly talented band of musicians and I am completely honored that I could attend such a performance.

All is right with the world again so thanks Julie, Jenna... You're wonderful!

Yours Aye!
Neil

No comments: