Monday, June 15, 2009

Madness, The 'Duke, beer, the hoose, and the disturbing...

Has it really been since mid-April that I've posted anything? Now that I think about it, it comes as little surprise. This seemingly never ending saga with the hoose has nearly done me in. Fear not, my son, all will be well soon (or so I'm told).

For early summer I have a short musical commentary as well as - you guessed it - a wee beer note. First, I have to say that once again thanks to both Tom Morton and Vic Galloway, those two highly underrated, world renowned, first class broadcasters for BBC Radio Scotland (among their many other talents), I've picked up some quite enjoyable new music. I've always been a fan of Madness but I have to say their newest is perhaps their best. What a great work. Being a huge Biffy Clyro fan, naturally I was very intrigued having heard Vic play a tune from Biffy side project Marmaduke Duke a few weeks ago. I picked up The 'Duke's newest and to little surprise like it immensely. Also, not related to either of their shows, out of curiosity I picked up Steve Earle's newest "Townes", a tribute to local Central Texas music legend Townes Van Zandt who is sadly no longer with us. This is a great piece of Central Texas Americana, for certain. Well worth checking out.

On the beer front. It seems that nearly every summer I wind up with some major home DIY project and usually find a "beer that built..." for each project. Saint Arnold's "Lawnmower" built my deck a couple of year ago and this year, for all the recent hoose renovation, the "beer that built..." is none other than Oskar Blues' "Mamma's Little Yella Pils". I think I've already extolled the name of the tiny Colorado brewery who makes perhaps the best beer ever produced in a can - "Dale's Pale Ale". "Mamma's" is also canned - perfect for summer, especially in the Texas heat which is pushing 100F every day already, mind you. I wouldn't personally classify it as a Pilsener beer in the truest sense as it is a bit sweet, not overly hoppy (which is a big surprise considering "Dale's") and bears little resemblance to anything from Pilzen. Nonetheless, it is a great tasting, very drinkable golden beer. Highly recommended.

On the hoose front, uh, no further comment at this time.

Now for the truly disturbing. Check out Vic Galloway and Jim Gellatly's "wedding" at the Rockness music festival near Inverness last weekend. Vic, Jim, I still love you...

Yours Aye!
Neil

No comments: