Friday, October 16, 2009

An Allowable Exception To "The Rant"

Having just posted "The Rant" (again, not that anyone is listening), I have to note one recent exception.

One of the beers I picked up in the mega-store today was Sierra Nevada's Estate. A slight digression...

Sierra Nevada, in my opinion, defined what American microbrewery beer was supposed to taste like. The first real micro I had was Samuel Adams Boston Lager and it is still one of the finest beers the world over. Also, I think Jim Koch did it right. Sam Adams was everywhere before anything else was really everywhere, and still is today. And, no doubt, Fritz Maytag at Anchor Brewery in San Francisco, was THE American microbrewery pioneer. I don't think anyone would doubt this fact. And, Anchor beers are also world class and totally unique in their own right. However, once the micro and home-brewing obsession really hit America and started to mature into what it is today, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale reigned supreme. I cannot count the number of home-brewers I've talked to that started out simply to clone Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. They are the ones that made Cascade hops famous!

OK, enough digression. On to "Estate". As the label claims, at least in America, this must be the only beer ever brewed (at least commercially) using only ingredients grown on the lands associated with the brewery. "Estate" is brewed using only barley and hops grown at Sierra Nevada. How cool is that?! And the taste? Absolutely fabulous! Heavily hopped (I almost wish they would have backed off a bit, but), really fresh hop taste. This is a great beer and the first year they have done it. Make sure you try it and I really hope they keep it up. This needs to be a regular beer in their lineup.

Yours Aye!
Neil

No comments: