Friday, October 16, 2009

My Rant On The State Of American Micros

Anyone that knows me very well knows that I have a Scottish, actually, let it be said, British obsession. This was only reinforced, perhaps more than ever, having just returned from London. I sampled some of the finest beers I have ever tasted the world over in London and the worst of it is, that craving for the taste of these fine cask-conditioned ales can not be satisfied on these shores. Some of the bottled versions - what few are still available in my area - only remotely come close but are better than not having them at all.

So, I happened into two beer mega-stores here in Austin today looking to pick up some beer for the weekend. As always when I go into these stores, I keep an open mind though I usually have a taste for something in particular. I knew I wanted something British but, nevertheless, I always look for something new too. The good news is there usually IS something new. But now, to my rant (brace yourself, this will come as sacrilege to many).

I love the American microbrewery industry. I think there are some of the finest brewers in the world in this community and, I believe, among the most creative. Not being one to ever stifle creativity I do honestly embrace all the new styles they have created. However, I have to say, I am sick to death of two movements in this community that disturb me greatly. One: the "extreme beer", or as I say "double everything possible" movement. Two: Belgian inspired beers.

To clarify, you can ignore number two. I know there is a huge, huge appreciation, at least in America, for Belgian style beers. However, I, for the most part, can't stand any of them. I've met very few that I like but I without doubt appreciate the style and do know a good one when I have one - I just don't like it.

It is number one that disturbs me most. Not because it has happened. It needed to happen. Some of the world's finest beers have come from this pursuit of "more of anything and everything". My argument now is twofold. One, this seems to be all everyone is focusing one: more hops, more malt, more alcohol. There comes a point where more is not better. Of course, this IS American. This country was founded on this and is defined by this, as Americans (and I'm not un-Patriotic, despite what some may think). But two, what disturbs me even more is that everyone has lost sight of: beer. Where are the Pale Ales? Where are the Bitters, Best Bitters? I crave low-to-mid strength, well balanced ales. Where are they? Very few are left. If you don't believe me, go look at your beer mega-mart shelves. What do you see? How many Pales and Bitters are left? They are facing extinction (and American IPAs don't count).

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a session beer guy. I don't drink beer for the alcohol. I drink beer, good beer, because I love the taste of beer. And, what I value most in a great beer is one simple thing: balance. And, believe it or not, it is one of the hardest things to achieve, especially in a lower alcohol beer. But, one taste of a 3.8% cask-conditioned Chiswick Bitter will change your opinion forever - I almost guarantee it.

So, my challenge (not that any of them are listening): how about a new American beer movement? Well-balanced, highly drinkable, character-filled session style ales? These are the only beers now on my homebrewing list for a long time to come!

Yours Aye!
Neil

No comments: