Friday, January 15, 2010

BrewDog Round Two

OK, BrewDog (remember, that radical brewery from Fraserburgh, Scoland?) tasting number two. In a big departure from the 'twisted merciless stout' of a couple of days ago, today it is two more BrewDog beers (assuming I make it through the first one), both on the hoppy side.

The first beer, "Hardcore IPA", is described by BrewDog as an "explicit imperial ale". I'm not sure what is "explicit" about it but it would seem it fits the Imperial style, as defined by the BJCP Style Guidelines, due to its alcohol level. With idealistic (only) ties to Russian Imperial Stouts, British Stouts brewed originally for the Baltic region with higher gravities, this Imperial style is mostly an American invention with terms like "Double" and "Extreme" IPA all being used interchangeably.

With a starting gravity of 1.085 and an ABV of 9.0% this is a big beer, but it sure doesn't taste like it. What I mean by that is normally, with beers of such high gravity, the taste of alcohol is quite dominant. Here, it is very subdued for this gravity and if I hadn't read the label I would have guessed more like upper 5% to 6% ABV, if that. Don't get me wrong, this is no gulper, it is quite a full beer and but very well balanced, I think. Despite having a quoted bitterness of 150 IBU using Simcoe, Chinook, Amarillo, and Warrior hops, due to the higher content of Maris Otter malt the hops don't over dominate. Plenty of citrusy flavor, no doubt, but I think pretty well done with the malty sweetness coming through quiet well in palate and aroma. It is not quite as malty as many of the American "Double" or "Extreme" IPAs in the way of colored malts as I think BrewDog only uses Pale Ale malt. This, I like! Too many American versions use Munich Malt or similar German or Belgian colored malts and I'm just not a big fan of this in Pales or IPAs. The hops are American through and through though, no doubt about that one but again, they are not overdone. I have used all these hops and it does take skill to keep them in check as they all like to grab their bit of the spotlight (all very assertive if used in very big quantities). All in all, I'm really pleased with this one.

Next is BrewDog's "Punk IPA", described as a "post modern classic pale ale". Well, I wouldn't call this one a straight Pale Ale, it is definitely an IPA, but it is quickly becoming a classic. It has a starting gravity of 1.052, 6% ABV and is brewed with Chinook, Ahtanum, and Nelson Sauvin hops, the latter a New Zealand hop, one I had never heard of. Again, I think this one is brewed solely with Maris Otter malt, synonymous with traditional IPAs. With a quoted IBU of 65, I find this one a lot hoppier in flavor than the "Hardcore". It is also a bit more pale in color, beautiful color in fact. The aroma, bitterness and flavor of the hops dominate. It finishes pretty dry but not overly so. Lots of citrus flavor from the hops with floral and grassy notes in the aroma. Yes, this one gets a real Thumbs Up from me!

Closing note. Although it is my intention to up the frequency of posts this year and to try and keep them focused on beer, I do not intend to turn this into a beer rating or review blog. There are plenty of them out there already. And anyway, here's my feeling on this ilk. Craft beer is a very complex beverage and everyone's tastes are different. I simply don't believe in beer rating scales primarily due to this subjectivity in the human palate. When I feel like it, I will describe new beers I try - especially if they are Scottish! - but by and large (for a really interesting take on the origin of this phrase read this), I merely mean to bring them to your attention and hope that you have the opportunity to try them and assess them for yourself.

Yours Aye!
Neil

No comments: