Friday, March 7, 2008

Brewing, More 6 Nations, and Upcoming SXSW

Well, it's a weekend of excitement. It's the next to the last weekend of the best Rugby tournament in the world - the Six Nations. For the weekend, the excitement will be Ireland facing undefeated Wales and Scotland v England at Murrayfield. I hope it is pishing rain and howling wind in Edinburgh! Go Scotland!

Brewing day tomorrow, exciting as well. Two all grain batches to be done so a full day. It'll be my signature IPA and a complete "wing it" I call "Welsh Dragon". Since Scotland has gone belly up in the Six Nations and Ireland already has a loss, I'm counting on Wales to be undefeated and this will be a celebration ale in tribute to Wales. If something goes wrong, it'll be a "drown your sorrows". As long as a Celtic team wins, I'll still manage. It will also hopefully be the last day for my current brewing setup. I have two new brewing pots on order - the Blichmann Boilermaker pots - to replace my current mash tun and brewing kettle. These are the most awesome homebrewing pots I've seen. When I first saw them advertised, I knew I had to have them. Besides being the coolest pots on the planet at present, I went to Purdue - a "Boilermaker", and I grew up in Indiana, where Blichmann Engineering originates. If you're curious:
Boilermaker Brewing Pots. Did I mention this worldwide hop shortage SUCKS!?

Next week brings what most Austinites dread: the South-By-Southwest (SXSW) Music & Film Festival. Well, I don't dread it, I look forward to it every year once I found out you don't have to only do the wee hour shows. BBC Radio Scotland host and friend Vic Galloway will be here again next week and I'll be going to the Scotland and Wales showcases as well as any gigs I can get to for Scottish acts. Looking forward to Frightened Rabbit, Sons and Daughters and The Law from Scotland this year and Duffy from Wales.

Music wise, up next is The Hold Steady at Emo's end of March.

More after tomorrow's marathon brewing session.

1 comment:

Sports Traveler said...

I'm very much excited for the 6 Nations rugby tournament too. In fact I'm taking 6 Nations hospitality from ITC Sports to watch the matches live.