Friday, March 28, 2008

What Is It About Elbow And Why Did Fish Have To Leave Marillion?

I absolutely love Elbow. The band, that is. I just downloaded their newest 'album', "The Seldom Seen Kid", (not yet available in the States) and again, another fantastic musical journey from them. What is it that draws me in so much? Is it Guy Garvey's vocals? Is it the fascinating collection of weird sounds intermixed beautifully with flowing melodies? I think it is everything. So many unique and now easily identifiable 'Elbowescences' yet you never know what you're going to get next. Fantastic stuff!

So far, "A Cast Of Thousands" is still my favorite but "The Seldom Seen Kid" has tons of potential and could propel it upward in my obscure and ever-changing ranking of favorite recordings. If you've not heard them, I urge you to check them out as soon as humanly possible. I first heard them (and probably NEVER would have otherwise) on Vic Galloway's show, Mondays on BBC Radio Scotland, available both in real time and by 'Listen Again' for up to a week after on the BBC Radio Scotland website.

I also drug out Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood" again today. This and "Clutching At Straws" are my favorite Marillion 'albums' although I find no fault in "Script For A Jester's Tear" nor "Fugazi" - in short, I love Fish era Marillion. It is such a tragedy that that particular lineup could not stay together. I do not wish present day Marillion any ill-will but the music they made during the Fish years was second to none and in my opinion stands the test of time. It has not been surpassed by any band of this 'ilk', 'genre', whatever one wishes to call it. And Fish hasn't achieved anything anywhere near the quality of this music despite doing some decent stuff as a solo artist.

On a completely unrelated subject. Tomorrow (Saturday) is yet another Glasgow Derby between Rangers and Celtic at Ibrox. Rangers lead the SPL over Celtic by a mere 3 points so GO CELTIC!

Unfortunately, still no Boilermaker pots!

Out!
Neil

No comments: