Sunday, October 5, 2008

Oktoberfest, exciting week on the radio, Facebook and now the Sunday Herald

Yes, been awhile since I've blogged. Busy, busy... The First Annual Oktoberfest party went brilliantly! Great food and, important for me, great bier. The Oktoberfestbier2008 was obviously the winner as the 5 gals. went in just a few hours. Dusseldorfer Altbier and the Hefe' were nearly drained as well. The root beer went down a storm with the young and the young at heart. Next year, I'll need more of everything. Not bad for 50 or so people.

Amazing series of events this week. It all started with a casual reply to one of Tom Morton's Twitters on his Facebook account by one Ali Wilson, regular Tom Morton Show listener and drummer from Peebles. Tom had, quite literally, briefly mentioned Deuchar's IPA, one of my top five beers the world over, in a Twitter update and Ali lashed out with an unbridled bashing of the IPA style (drummers, eh?). So, of course, I couldn't sit idly by while one of my favorite beers and styles (when done appropriately) were assaulted. I chimed in on Tom's Facebook in response to Ali. I missed Tom's show on Thursday due to too many meetings at work and found out on Friday that the whole exchange had been mentioned on the show and further comment ensued. Then, this morning to my shock, I noticed a comment from Ali about Tom's Diary in the Sunday Herald so I took a look (somehow I always forget Tom does this diary). And there, the exchange was mentioned yet again. And Tom had some really kinds words regarding my Scottish beer knowledge. Lot of mileage out of a completely off-handed Twitter topic.

One thing though. For some reason, Tom always has to mention that I'm American, why is that? Does it contribute to or detract from my credibility on the subject, or, perhaps, has nothing to do with it at all?

What on earth will next week bring?

Cheers!
Neil

1 comment:

Tom Morton said...

Hey Neil
I promise never to mention the fact that you're American ever again!

But never forget: being American, despite the slings and arrows, will always be cool.