Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Work's Laptop's Gone Dead - Crisis: No Tom Morton Show!

Yes indeed, yet again (this is the fourth time in as many years and over three laptops?) the hard drive on my laptop at the work is dead. What does this mean? CRISIS: no Tom Morton Show! Have missed the show all week but trying to catch up after hours using the fabulous Listen Again feature on BBC Radio Scotland. Listening to today's show just now.

An absolutely dire, dire situation!

Hopefully day off on Friday for, you guessed it, more brewing. Hope to do an 80/- and another unique golden ale with oats. The Maclay's Oat Malt stout, Boadicea and the still concealed identity mystery beer should be ready to be on tap in a week or so.

This worldwide hop shortage is still getting my goat. Some varieties are starting to be available but the prices are simply unbelievable. The lengths (and expense) I'll go to for good ale! Had an email exchange with John Peed up in Tennessee about reduction boiling for Scottish beers - he is quickly becoming the expert on this technique, I'm still not sold. He also asked again about my opinion of smoky character in Scottish beers. I had to yet again emphatically state: NO SMOKED MALT OF ANY KIND SHOULD BE USED IN AN AUTHENTIC SCOTTISH ALE!! I'll leave it at that.

Cheers!
Neil

No comments: